History of St Aidan's
St. Aidan’s cornerstone was laid in January 1951 and the new church dedicated in February 1952. It began as a mission of St. Jude’s Oakville and became a separate
independent parish in 1954.
The congregation grew rapidly through the 1950’s and well into the 1960’s. In 1957, the church took on its current cruciform shape with the addition of the north and south transepts. New offices, classrooms and a kitchen were included in the renovations and the refurbished facility was dedicated in January 1958.
Two events – the opening of St. Hilda’s Parish in 1959 and the closing of the Canadian Armed Forces Central Command (Ortona Barracks at Dorval Drive) in 1970 – brought rapid demographic changes and loss of parish membership. However, the little parish has continued to be an important stabilizing presence in West River and a key aspect of community life in this part of Oakville.
In 2005 St. Aidan’s undertook an important process of introspection and review regarding past successes, current assets and ministry, and future aspirations. A critical turning point arrived with the decision to reconnect with the community, identify pressing needs and take action to address those needs. A major project of renovation created accessible, multi-functional space on the main floor, which opened the door to St. Aidan’s ability to make this space more available for community-based programs. The grand opening was held in November 2010.
Today, St. Aidan’s is once again a hub for community activity – activity that is aligned with the parish mission of meaningful worship, social justice and building a strong community. In addition to the congregation’s own worship needs, the flexible main floor space now accommodates community dinners, meetings, concerts, recitals, children’s programs and other community-based activities.
For over 64 years St. Aidan’s has stood out as “the little parish that could” – a beacon within the West River and Kerr Village communities – a place of partnership and action – and a place to refresh the spirit.